Sunday, June 1, 2014

Dominic Moore Story

NY Post- Dominic Moore sat there, bedside in the hospital, holding his wife Katie’s hand.
It was Jan. 7, 2013, and Moore had been in that same position for hours. A doctor came by and asked to speak to him out in the hallway, and as he rose to stand up, Katie squeezed.
“It was kind of, like, pretty incredible,” Moore told ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap in an “E:60” documentary airing Thursday at 7 p.m. “I just sat right back down, and didn’t move after that.”
In a short couple hours, Katie would die as a result of the rare liver cancer that had ravaged her body for a year. She was 32.
Just months before, Moore had dropped everything in his life to be with his wife, which meant leaving his NHL team, the San Jose Sharks, in the midst of a first-round playoff series with the Blues. A stout fourth-liner and penalty killer, Moore was an integral part of the team, but missed the final two games of the series knowing there were things far more important than a pursuit of the Stanley Cup.
“I wanted to make sure she knew how proud she should be of herself,” he said of those last few hours with his wife. “A lot of people think you’re a success if you beat cancer, or you survive or whatever. That’s kind of the way we work in sports, too — either you’re a winner or you’re not. I wanted to make sure she knew that she’s a winner.”

Watch the ESPN story here i recommend taking the 12 minutes out of your day to check it out. Sorry to start of your week with such a rough subject, but I figured I'd save it till today rather than posting it friday and bringing you down for the weekend. Hey it's monday, you're probably sad already. I never watch long videos online, probably due to my A.D.D. but i've seen this one about four times, every time I cry just as hard. I can't even imagine what Moore went through, godda be the toughest thing in the world losing your spouse. The fact that he lost his wife and came back to the NHL is incredible. Shows the determination that he has and that he just won't give up. I think if my wife died I'd probably live in my basement and just drink natty lights for the rest of my life. This is me making a major statement, I'm all for the Rangers from this point on in the play offs. All cause of Dominic Moore, there's nothing I'd love more than to see him win the cup. 
Also Marty St. Louis losing his mom during the middle of the play offs is depressing AF. That's some heavy shit and he bounced back as well. These Rangers are resilient. 
P.S. If this story doesn't have you crying, you're not alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment